The Chancery Court Chancellor has the power to punish for both civil and criminal contempt. When a prior court order is not complied with, then the Chancellor has the power to punish that party for failing to do what he or she was previously ordered. As a result of being in contempt, the Chancellor may fine or order imprisonment until the the party complies with the order.

The most common contempt actions are when a party fails to pay child support or expenses as previously ordered by the court. The other most common contempt action is when one party refuses to allow visitation with a child.

For example, if you are entitled to child support payments each month on behalf of your children and your former spouse stopped paying child support, then you would be entitled to bring a contempt action. In this scenario, your attorney would file a Motion for Contempt seeking all back child support owed, plus your attorney fees and costs for having to bring the action.

Contact our office!Schedule a Consult.

Our office is ready to help with your problems.